Monday, January 26, 2009

Joys of living alone.....


Living Alone

As of 2000, the most common household type in the U.S. is people living alone. 27 million American households consist of a person living alone, compared to 25 million households with a husband, wife, and child.
- Hobbs, Frank. "Examining American Household Composition: 1990 and 2000." U.S. Census Bureau, 2005.

More than one in four American households consist of an adult living alone (25.8%).
- Hobbs, Frank. "Examining American Household Composition: 1990 and 2000." U.S. Census Bureau, 2005.


These are some stats for people's living arrangements. They don't surprise me at all. I am not the "norm" here where I live. Apparently, there are a lot of like minded people throughout the U.S. I can't even imagine having to live with someone else after about 12 years of living alone. It's great! You can walk naked from the shower to the bedroom to get dressed. (for that matter you can dance around naked on the way, not that I would, but you could) You can get up at 2 A.M. and turn up the radio....the list goes on and on. The only down side I can see is you could possibly choke to death on a piece of meat. I am willing to take that risk. I can see why a lot of people like to live this way. That is my thought of the day.

3 comments:

  1. Choking to death on a piece of meat would really suck. You should be careful about that. Maybe stop eating meat...it's not worth the risk. And by the way, when you live with someone you can still walk naked (or dance) from the bath to the bedroom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those that live alone probably really enjoy it... UNTIL they are old and alone and realize they have alienated mankind in general and will die alone and with nothing to contribute to the future of the world, society, universe, etc. Nothing to show that they were here and lived life.

    We recently watched a movie in which the main character thought he wanted total and complete freedom. Once he finally attained it he ended up dying a very tortuous, painful, agonizing lonely death. The loneliness being the hardest to bear. His last written words he was barely able to maneuver with his boney, dirty, lifeless fingers were "Happiness only real when shared"
    It was a very touching, impacting movie for me that really made me think about how grateful I am to have relationships in my life. Ones that will live on after I die and that will testify that I was here and the person that I was and strived to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The above comment was Loni by the way...as if you couldn't tell...ha ha Just wanted to clarify.

    ReplyDelete